The Council for Community Enrichment, Incorporated was established in 2005 by the Stone Mountain/Lithonia Graduate Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization to provide assistance and support through new and established programs to the residents of the Stone Mountain and Lithonia communities. These programs include, but are not limited to educational and training seminars, community issues of health, economics, and family. The support of lifelong learning and academic excellence are primary initiatives of the organization, and at the heart of these efforts is the scholarship program.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., founded January 15, 1908 at Howard University, as the first African-American Greek-letter sorority, promotes high scholastic and ethical standards. Since 1993, the Stone Mountain/Lithonia Graduate Chapter, Tau Pi Omega, has effectively and successfully implemented service programs in the community and awarded over $160,000 in scholarships. In 2019, The Council for Community Enrichment, Inc., in conjunction with Tau Pi Omega Chapter, will award college scholarships to deserving seniors, who exemplify academic excellence, strong leadership, and community involvement.
The following criteria will be used to award the scholarships:
• Applicant has maintained a "B” average or better throughout their high school career, including the first semester of senior year
• Applicant must have demonstrated leadership ability in the school and community
• Applicant must have participated in community service projects
• Applicant is planning to attend an accredited college, university, or post-secondary institution in
pursuit of a degree upon high school graduation
• Applicant must be available for an interview with the scholarship committee
Applications, checklists, and photo release forms will be enclosed for distribution to eligible students. NOTE: Scholarship documents are now available. (See link below.)
Please contact Micole Atkins Talley at (404) 642-8122 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.